Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Another look at Christmas past

I am on the hunt for inspiration right now. So as I was looking at fancy Christmas dresses I have made in the past, I thought I would share some with you. I know, I said I was not going to do a fancy one this year, but Sydney's Girl Scout group is having a fancy tea on Monday (yes, this next Monday) and on the invitation it states that they should wear their Christmas dress. So...here I am on Tuesday night frantically trying to decide if I have enough time to smock something or if I should just go with hand embroidery. My husband thinks I have lost my mind at this point.

This is still one of my favorite bishops I have ever made for Sydney. It is Christmas Mice smocked on white pique. I thought she looked like an angel wearing it. I still remember putting all those glass seed beads on while she played in the bathtub. She wore this for two years and I was sad when she finally outgrew it.
Christmas bishop
Here is a close-up of all those beads. I think I got a little carried away.
close up

A couple of years ago Sydney wanted a red corduroy dress for Christmas. I fell in love with this swiss edging and incorporated it into a slip. I had just enough to make Dolly a matching dress. I am so glad I did too because this was the last Christmas that Dolly went everywhere with her.
Photobucket
I made the collar detachable. I was afraid of washing white linen with red corduroy. I did a very simple shadow embroidery and added tatting.
Photobucket
Here she is with Dolly. I love this picture.
Photobucket
Here is Dolly in her Christmas dress too.
Photobucket
And the slip details. I loved how all this fabric just poofed out that dress so well. Here you can see the swiss edging I just had to use.
Photobucket
And I even did matching socks with a little satin bow and eyelet that I zig zagged on to them.
Photobucket
And she was a doll when she met Santa. Oh, man, why do they have to grow up?
Photobucket
Okay, off to the sewing room to figure out what I can make in less than a week that still will live up to what my baby expects out of a fancy holiday dress. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Knowing you, you'll come up with something fabulous in no time flat! I'm sure we'll see some dazzling display of a twirling sweetie in her new Christmas delight and we'll all be shaking our heads wondering how in the world you could have done something so spectacular in so little time. that's you, Piper! Do it this year, honey! Next year you'll be making matching stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely dresses. I'm sure you will something nice to make, and I look forward to seeing it. I still get nostalgic when I see old toys or clothes, and my baby is in grad school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mice bishop. I made Paige one for her 2nd Christmas. (she was only a few weeks old for the first one) It was one of my most favorite things I ever made for her. I really need to find a pic of it ... I know there is one somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...